Friday, 18 November 2016

[Article] 161118 [XP Interview①] Bang Sihyuk, "BTS is not a "miracle" or "luck"."



If you ask "Which boy group recorded the most rapid growth this year" to any Gayo promoters, 8 to 9 out of 10 would answer "BTS" (Rap Monster, Suga, Jin, J Hope, Jimin, V, Jungkook) and mention Bighit Entertainment. BTS released their second full album "WINGS" on October 10th. The album and the songs received favorable reviews and achieved good results from Youtube, Itunes Chart and many other charts. It looks like they've built a fine bridgehead to extend their popularity from Korea to worldwide.

Bighit Entertainment CEO Bang Sihyuk is behind BTS's achievements. He was one of the influential producers who produced hit songs like god's "Friday Night", Baek Jiyoung's "Like Being Hit By A Bullet" and 2AM's "Can't Let You Go Even If I Die". He successfully created an outstanding boy group, BTS. In the KPOP industry where one can't survive unless you're from the top companies, the result brought by Bighit's first boy group "BTS" is indeed encouraging.

Bighit Entertainment CEO Bang Sihyuk sat down for an interview with Xports to talk about the behind story of creating BTS and the changes he noticed in the KPOP industry in his years as a producer, and he also revealed his final goal and dream as a producer.

Question and answer session with Bang Sihyuk.

◈ BTS achieved good result with "Blood Sweat & Tears"
- Although I didn't expect their second full album "WINGS" to achieve good results, I also don't think they achieved these results only because they were lucky. The members have been taking a step at a time and the result of their constant growth is finally revealing to the public. The members will continue to show their improvements and I would like to thank everyone who gives them overflowing love and interest.

◈ What was the background and the priority behind creating BTS?
- I decided to create BTS at the beginning because of leader Rap Monster. I thought of making a hip hop group after watching Rap Monster's rap. I wanted to take a step further than a simple hip hop idol. I thought the members had to be able to talk about their own story. These thoughts continued to apply on BTS's music and it still hasn't changed. I wanted the group members to personally participate in composing and writing their own songs of course and also to produce and direct their own stage as well. We're gradually working to achieve these goals.

◈ We'd like to know if there were any Bang Sihyuk's philosophy or belief when you were casting the members.
- Before BTS's debut, I made a promise with the members. I told them as long as they trust in their teams' potential and do their best in their position, I would help them to become a team who will be recognized as producers. The members believed in my words and I did my best to keep my words. This didn't only apply before their debut, I have not forgotten this even now and I will continue to keep this belief in the future as well.

◈ This might be a typical question but what do you think is the secret behind BTS's success in Korea? 
- It's the fact that they express relatable contemporary story. They don't make common love songs, instead, they interpret the worries and uneasiness of youths with the unique voices of BTS and I believe this is why people like them. And I would like to add, in the same context as creating relatable music, I think the friendly images of BTS members is also another reason. I also think the members' trying hard to communicate and interact with their fans is another reason.

◈ If so, could you say that the current BTS's fandom corresponds to the target you had while creating the group?
- As I've said before, BTS mainly singings songs about contemporary story. BTS members made use of SNS to interact with fans who are similar to their age.


◈ People often say "Miracle of small company" when they describe BTS. Do you like this statement or do you feel uncomfortable?
- I don't pay much attention to develop feelings like "like" or "hate" to this matter. However, when I consider the size of our firm and the number of employees we had at their debut, objectively I do think "small company" is true. But the expression "miracle" sounds nice when to hear it but I think it's a word that puts a limit to many people. BTS will undoubtedly grow bigger but regardless of our company's size, I think our company should keep debuting great bands and help them grow bigger than BTS. So I don't want to put a limit on the value of this moment with the word "miracle".

◈ The first thing that comes to our mind when we think of BTS is their "series" albums, the albums they release with one concept. What is the story behind this series project?
- The reason behind starting the series project was simple. It's because we couldn't include all the stories BTS members wanted to express in just one album. The biggest interest of teenagers are dream and happiness and their story wasn't simple enough to express in just one album so that was why we produced school trilogy. Also,  we believed it wasn't possible to express the beauty and uneasiness of youths in a short story. Even the lives of individuals can't be explained in one section, isn't it?

◈ BTS's concept has strong novel-like creativity. Does this reflect the preference of their main producer?
- I personally enjoy watching romance comics and romance movies. However, BTS's concepts don't reflect my preferences. It's the result produced by the staffs' continuous planning. I believe we were able to create a synergy effect thanks to BTS members understanding the concept well and expressing it properly. 

Original article here
Response +940

1. I still can't forget his  "기쒄을 제압해~" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ +1686 -81

2. I heard that he even filmed the video to recruit members of BTS. I respect your passion. +1441 -98

3. I think he's a great person the more I see him. Bringing together the 7 members together explains... +1444 -147

4. Cool Bang PD-nim has eyes to find the gems. Thank you for creating BTS. Please help BTS to become bigger★♥♥♥♥♥★ +1070 -118

5. Bang PD-nim, you're really amazing!!!! Please continue to take good care of BTS oppas~ ^^ +1096 -137

6. I can see Bighit taking good care of BTS... Hitman Bang I love you ㅋㅋ +237 -16

7. Bighit has great planning and  initiating skills~~!! I hope you will prove those skills by suing the haters this time~~ +219 -18

8. This is why I like them. I don't listen to the typical love songs because I'm sick of them now but when I listen to BTS's music I can relate to their songs and they comfort me. At first, I had a prejudice against them because they were an idol group but now they're my favorite singers. I really love each and every song they make. +219 -19

9. I became their fan by searching them online after watching their performance ^^ I love their current skillfulness and I also like their older less refined moments♡ Bangtan mani mani♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ +204 -15

10. 2, 3! BTS I love you and I respect you Bang Sihyuk PD-nim +194 -17